Two Factor Authentication (commonly abbreviated to 2FA or TFA) is an authentication method in which a user is granted access to a website or application only after successfully presenting two or more pieces of evidence (or factors) to the system that together, proves they are entitled to login. Gnosis can be set up to utilize 2FA for all user logins as described in this article.
When signing into a Gnosis system with 2FA enabled, the user will need to initially supply a username, password, and a 5 or 6 digit 2FA numeric code in order to gain access to the system.
The 2FA numeric code can be provided in any of the following ways:
- Sent to your email address.
- Sent by text message to your phone.
- Obtained from an Authenticator app installed on your phone.
Initially, you will receive your 2FA code via email and/or text message. Once you have received a code this way, you can use the code to log in and then set up one of the Authenticator apps on your phone for more convenient access going forward.
- You will start your login using the normal process of providing your username and password:
- After entering logging in this way, you will then be asked for a security code sent to your email and/or text messaging on your mobile phone:
- At this point, you should be logged in.
Setting Up the Authenticator App
We recommend setting up an Authenticator App on your mobile device. This is the easiest way to obtain a 2FA login code any time you need it.
There are two main authenticator apps (free) for mobile devices - Google Authenticator and Microsoft Authenticator. Once you install the app, you will add your Gnosis login to it using a QR code from Gnosis once you are logged in.
To download and install an Authenticator App on your phone, scan one of the following QR Codes:
Once installed, perform the following:
- Open the authenticator app on your phone, click on "Add" and choose "Scan QR Code".
- In Gnosis, you will need to log in using a 2FA code from your email or a text message depending on how your administrator has set you up.
- Once logged in, choose "Settings" from the main menu along the top of the application.
- Select "Manage Password & Security Options".
- On the window that appears, choose "2FA Setup" to obtain the following screen:
- Ensure that the option for the Authenticator apps is enabled and press the "Click to Setup Authenticator App with a QR Code" to display a window similar to the following: (NOTE: If you are asked to re-authenticate, enter your password and a new 2FA code as needed):
- Lastly, scan the QR Code displayed on your Gnosis screen using the Authenticator App on your mobile phone to add your Gnosis 2FA code generator to your authenticator app.
Using The Authenticator App
Once your Authenticator app is set up, whenever you are prompted to enter a 2FA code in Gnosis, simply obtain the current code displayed in your app.